Durham Friends Meeting
Welcome to the Durham Friends Meeting (Quaker)
- We are a community of people who gather for worship and fellowship on Sunday mornings, and who attempt to carry the experience of spiritual centeredness and guidance into their lives during the week.
- All are welcome to join us as we worship in the traditional “unprogrammed” manner of Friends. We have no ritual, liturgy, creed, sermon or prepared music.
- All of our activities are organized and conducted by our members and volunteers. We have no paid clergy or staff.
- Durham Meeting was founded in 1937. It is affiliated both with North Carolina Yearly Meeting (Conservative) and with the Friends General Conference through its local affiliate, Piedmont Friends Fellowship.
- We welcome your inquiry or visit!
A list of upcoming Meeting events scheduled updated monthly (also, search "Meeting Calendar").
Please mark your calendars for the meeting-wide retreat on Undoing Racism, Friday, October 14, 5:30-8:00 pm and Saturday, October 15, 8:30-4:00. Childcare and a program for youth will be provided.
Agenda: 11am Worship Noon, Lunch 1 pm Interim Body meeting
Topic:GI counseling at Quaker House of Fayetteville (which Durham Meeting helped to found.)
The Construction Committee wants Durham Friends to be informed of three important upcoming steps in the current timeline for the renovation and completion of the meetinghouse.
The theme of the 2017 Gathering is "Ripples start where spirit moves." It will be at Niagara University, right on the U.S.A.-Canadian border in Niagara University, New York.
Experiment with Light (EWL) is a Quaker practice based on the early Friends' experience of an Light-inspired spiritual path. EWL was devised in 1996 by Quaker and theologian Rex Ambler, following his study of early Friends' writings.
Worship with us!
- 8:30- 9:30 am: Early Worship.
- 10:00-11:00 am: Meeting for Worship.
- 10:15-11:00 am: Programs for Children.
- 11:00-11:45 am: Welcome, announcements & fellowship.
- 11:45am: Forum or other event when scheduled (search "Meeting Calendar").
In addition, we support a nearby worship group:
Hillsborough Friends Worship Group
Sundays, 11:00 am-12:00 noon at
Hillsborough Yoga and Healing Arts
121 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough, NC
Contact Worship Group by email.