How Do I Participate in the Business of the Meeting?
Attend Monthly Meeting for Business!
All are invited whether you are a member of Meeting or not - this includes children. Child care is provided for children not attending the meeting.
Quakers conduct business through "monthly meetings for worship with attention to business" and through committee meetings. The Quaker process that is used to conduct business is radically different from the manner in which business is conducted in modern society. In making decisions, Quakers strive for a "sense of the meeting." We believe that by following Quaker process, we will be led to a view of the truth and God's direction for us.
NYM Faith & Practice on decision-making asserts that all present are responsible for the right working of the Meeting for Worship to Conduct Business:
- for maintaining a worshipful attitude
- for listening carefully to and being respectful of others
- for speaking when led, briefly, to the point, and without repetition
- for addressing the clerk by standing or raising a hand when wishing to speak
- for speaking to the group as a whole, not to individuals
- for coming prepared and informed
- for seasoning matters by good committee work, or otherwise, before bringing them to the meeting
- for coming with minds open to the working of the Spirit, being prepared to have our minds changed and setting personal interests aside
- for working towards unity when differences are present
The Quaker Process documents below, prepared by the Madison Monthly Meeting Ministry and Counsel Committee, may help you understand this process more deeply.
Consider participating on a committee!
Committees are the life of the Meeting! There is a committee for every interest, time commitment and ability. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how your interests and leading may fit the Meeting’s needs. Or click the rink at the right for committee descriptions.