Quaker Study Group
The Quaker Study Group aims to provide resources for anyone wishing to learn more about Quakers, Quakerism, and how Quaker faith and practice provides spiritual grounding for work to create social justice. The group posts readings and videos on this website and will sponsor talks and reading/discussion groups on Zoom (and in person when it is safe to do so). We welcome the participation and inquiries of Meeting members, attenders, visitors, and the merely curious.
If you have expertise in a particular area that you’d be willing to share, please let us know. To send suggestions for topics or material to be added to this website, or for more information about upcoming events, please email email@example.com.
Activities during 2021 are announced on the Meeting's website and via the weekly email updates from the Meeting. If you would like to receive the weekly email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The History of Friends
- Friends for 350 Years, Howard H. Brinton
- Fit for Freedom, Not for Friendship: Quakers, African Americans, and the Myth of Racial Justice, Donna McDaniel and Vanessa Julye
- Silence and Witness: The Quaker Tradition, Michael L. Birkel
- Journal of George Fox
- Journal of John Woolman
- The Quiet Rebels: The Story of the Quakers in America, Margaret Hope Bacon
- Portrait in Grey: A Short History of the Quakers, John Punshon
- Quaker.org history section
- "How Quakerism Began," QuakerSpeak video
Quaker Faith and Practice
- "The Quaker Spices," QuakerSpeak video on the Testimonies
- New England Yearly Meeting (NEYM): Faith and Practice
- A Testament of Devotion, Thomas R. Kelly
- A Procession of Friends: Quakers in America, Daisy Newman
- Friends Journal
- 2014 Swarthmore Lecture (video), University of Bath, Ben Pink Dandelion
- Pendle Hill Pamphlets in general, and specifically The Nature of Quakerism (Pendle Hill Pamphlet #47), by Howard H. Brinton
Witness into Action
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin (film)
- The Vote, a PBS series about the battle for women's suffrage in America that mentions Alice Paul
- "A Journey Toward Eliminating Racism in the Religious Society of Friends," Vanessa Julye
- "Holding the Peace: Quaker Nonviolence in the Time of Black Lives Matter," QuakerSpeak video
- New England Yearly Meeting's (NEYM) Priorities for 2020-2021:
- 2016 Minutes on Climate Change
- A Letter of Apology to Indigenous Peoples (under revision) and a Call for Us to Act: https://neym.org/working-group-right-relationship-indigenous-peoples
- A Call to Urgent Loving Action for the Earth and Her Inhabitants, which names the interconnected nature of "systemic problems of racism, social injustice, violence, greed, and failure to act on the climate crisis."
- The Outgoing Epistle of the 2020 Virtual Pre-Gathering of Friends of Color and their Families, Friends General Conference (FGC)