An All Zoom Event: Exploring Spirit - July 18, 2021 with Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, hosted by Green Street Friends
Register for Exploring Spirit - July 18, 2021 with Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, hosted by Green Street Friends
Just CLICK here to register for the Zoom link! (Of course it's free!)
Intervisitation is one of the oldest and most rewarding practices of the Religious Society of Friends - allowing deeper understanding and cooperation between Quakers.
Here is an opportunity to visit Green Street Monthly Meeting and the Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting!
All Zoom - Join for Some or ALL of the summer session:
SCHEDULE (details below)
- 9:15 AM Host Program: tonya thames taylor on “Searching God as a Biocitizen: Environmental Justice, Class, and Faith in The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)”.
- 10:30 AM Hybrid Worship with Green Street Friends.
- 1-3:30 PM Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting for Worship for Business.
Spirit-Led Business of the Quarter: Listening, Learning and Taking Steps Together
Join Friends across the Philadelphia who are advancing the Quarter's work in service to our Friends and Meetings!
- The zoom space will open at 12:45 for greeting and settling in.
- Meeting for Worship to attend to Quarterly Business begins at 1 PM.
- Agenda will be posted 2 weeks before session.
What does Spirit call for us to do? What matters? How can the Quarter care for you and all of us for each other and the world? What is the work of the Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting and the way forward?
Host Speaker and Discussion
Speaker: tonya thames taylor on "Searching God as a Biocitizen: Environmental Justice, Class, and Faith in The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)"
Description: The interplay of environmental justice, biocitizenship, class, and neoliberal reliance on private sources for people’s welfare shapes our lives. Friend tonya thames taylor gives her take on how current, exciting innovations in science shapes policies, biodiversity, and bioethics as they perpetuate and preserve inequalities. This talk reflects the ongoing, self-created guiding query Friend tonya asks herself in daily mediation and weekly during Quaker worship at Fallowfield Friends in southwestern Chester County in Pennsylvania: tonya, how are you distinguishing the extrinsic ‘In Search of God’ verses an intrinsic ‘Searching God’ discernment in this matter?
Biography: Friend tonya is a college professor, who serves as the Recording Clerk for Western Quarterly Meeting (PA), a Trustee for the Friends Publishing Corporation (Friends Journal and QuakerSpeak), Board of Directors for the Friends Historical Association (Quaker History), member of the Administrative Council of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (PhYM), and, as of April 2021 a member of the Governance Committee of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC). She appreciates it all and speaks of her volunteer work among Friends as an invaluable and ongoing curriculum in her faith journey. In addition to being active in her sorority, Friend tonya is also an active member in women organizations such as the Association of Black Women Historians, National Council of Negro Women, Women In the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (WIN), and Junior League of Philadelphia (Sustainer).
Advance materials for both the program and quarter business session will be updated and actively linked on this Event Page as they become available.
Items below are tenative placeholders and may change. (Active links are approved and ready for viewing and downloading.)
1. Draft Agenda for July 18, 2021 Session
2. Minutes to be approved: January 24, 2021 and April 25, 2021
3. Financial Report
4. An Episitle on the Spiritual State of the Philadelphia Quarter
5. Ad hoc committee report and discussion on 'The Way Forward' from April 2021 - planning and purpose of PQM for next year
6. Report on the PQM Presents: Recording Clerk Workshop (April 17, 2021)
7. Pre- program videos to view for discussion
8. Articles on Guilford College economic challenges in current environment
Many thanks to our host, Green Street Friends Meeting for sharing your gifts with the Philadelphia Quarter Meeting!
NOTE: Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (PQM) meets quarterly, four times a year, on the fourth Sunday of January, April and October, and on the third Sunday in July (so as not to conflict with the time that Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (PhYM) usually holds its Annual Sessions). All are welcome!