Spirit's Alive at Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting. October 24, 2021 - On Zoom. Hosted by Germantown Monthly Meeting.
Register Here for the PQM autumn session with Germantown Monthly Meeting on October 24, 2021.
Join Germantown Monthly Meeting and the Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting and get re-energized! Intervisitation (getting to know each other by being in one's space) is one of the oldest and most rewarding practices of the Religious Society of Friends - allowing deeper understanding and cooperation between Quakers.
- 10:30 - 12:00 Join via Zoom for Germantown Meeting for Worship - followed by Introductions, Announcements, and Joys and Concerns.
- 12:00 - 12:45 Break for travel and lunch (to accommodate hybrid MFW)
- 12:45 - 1:00 Quarterly Zoom space opens. Join early to greet each other and settle in !
- 1:00 – 2:00 Host program with Karen Lightner on "Vocal Ministry - What's it all about?"
- 2:00 – 4:00 Spirit led Business of the Philadelphia Quarter. (Depending on spirit - may end by 3:30 PM)
1:00 - 2:00 PM Host program details
Karen Lightner (GMM) leads an interactive presentation on Vocal Ministry – What’s it all about?
Not all Friends Meetings do a good job of teaching about unprogrammed worship and vocal ministry. We assume that new attenders will learn by watching what happens in the Meeting for Worship and intuiting the proper way to act. This doesn’t work very well. We often don’t talk enough to newcomers about what vocal ministry is and isn’t.
There is much literature about Quaker Worship that we can hand newcomers, but nothing is better than a personal discussion. But are we even on the same page about what waiting worship and vocal ministry are?
In this program, Karen Lightner will share some ideas about worship and vocal ministry, as well as some of her own experiences. We will then go into small breakout groups so everyone can share their experiences in response to queries about how we settle into worship and how we decide whether a message that has come to mind is meant to be shared.
Karen Lightner is a member of Germantown Monthly Meeting where she is Assistant Clerk. She has served on GMM’s Worship and Ministry Committee for about 15 years. She also currently serves on the Worship and Care Committee of the Quaker Life Council of PYM. In the past she has served on the Ministry and Nurture Committee of FGC’s Central Committee, twice served as co-clerk for Friends for LGBTQ Concerns, and served on FLGBTQC’s Ministry and Council Committee. She is retired as a librarian for the Free Library of Philadelphia and a photographer/letterpress artist.
2:00 PM Spirit-Led Business of the Quarter
Calling all Friends across Philadelphia - we have much to share and learn from each other.
Look for the finalized agenda to be posted two weeks prior to the meeting (approx. October 10, 2021).
All friends are encouraged to come with heart and mind prepared! Advance materials for your review will be linked on this event page as soon as they become available.
Advanced documents (if the links here don't work - scroll to end of this page for Files)
- 1. Agenda for PQM Session October 24, 2021: Link to Google Drive version or scroll down for file.
- 2. Minutes of last PQM session July 18, 2021 DRAFT PQM Minutes Archival Record: Link to Google Drive version or scroll down for file.
- 3. Financial Report - Coming Saturday 10.23.2021 Will be included in Agenda as an attchment
Many thanks to our host, Germantown Monthly Meeting for sharing your gifts with the Philadelphia Quarter Meeting!
NOTE: Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (PQM) meets quarterly, four times a year, on the fourth Sunday of January, April and October, and on the third Sunday in July (so as not to conflict with the time that Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (PhYM) usually holds its Annual Sessions). All are welcome!