WHO ARE THE QUAKERS?
We offer this information to acquaint you with some of the characteristics of the people called Friends or Quakers; in particular the members of Storrs Friends Meeting. While there are no dogmas in Quakerism, there are three elements of our religious society, interwoven as one piece throughout our history: First is the faith and practise by which we live, second is our method of worship and third is our mission of service through which we express ourselves in the world.
Friends look for that of God in every person, and believe through experience in direct communication with the Divine Light. Ours is among the most mystical of western faiths. We seek the spiritual comfort and guidance found in a place beyond words.
We strive to live our faith by applying our beliefs to the actions we take. We are known as one of the "peace churches", holding reverence for all life. Throughout our history we have been activists on social justice issues including many matters of social equality, economic justice, and stewardship of the Earth.
As constant seekers and ministers to one another, we strive to discern God's will in our lives.
WE FORM A LOVING, SUPPORTIVE, AND CHALLENGING FAITH COMMUNITY
Out of our worship flows a loving, supportive and challenging faith community.
- There is the friendship and joy of the weekly fellowship time.
- Children’s programs provide Quaker learning, sharing and community service experiences. Childcare is provided for all meeting events.
- We are a supportive but sensitive community in times of personal and health challenges. The Pastoral Care Committee pays special attention to these activities.
- Frequently, after fellowship or at special scheduled times we gather to discuss questions of Quaker faith and practice, from spirituality to our testimonies and social concerns.
- For those active in a social witness the meeting provides spiritual and personal support. Our Witness Support Committee pays special attention to these activities.
- Late each Spring we have a picnic with conversation, swimming and games.
- We are a welcoming and affirming meeting.