Welcome All Future High School Staff
What to Expect as High School Staff
The 2021 Gathering will take place online from noon Sunday, June 27 to Saturday July 3. Staff training will take place over 3 zoom sessions the week before Gathering. High School staff of the 2021 Gathering are not required to be present during all High School program sessions. During the staff application, we ask potential staff to identify which programming time slots they are available for programming.
Due to the online format and schedule, staff are able to participate in a workshop and evening plenaries this year.
Since it has moved to a virtual format, the 2021 FGC Gathering will be Pay as Led. As a result, we will not offer work grants this year. The intensive structure of the High School Program requires a big commitment from Staff. Your service to the High School Community is understood as your contribution to Gathering. There is no expectation that HS Staff contribute financially to participate in the 2021 Gathering.
All staff are expected to lead a support group and attend a daily staff meeting. Staff lead a support group of 5-8 participants, further deepening the spiritual and communal work in a more intimate setting. Support group is the only mandatory aspect of virtual Gathering for High School participants. Staff also have the option to lead affinity groups and hang-out spaces throughout the week.
Complete the High School staff application here. Not everyone who applies to be a staff member is chosen. Effort is made to create a balance of gender, age, skills, personalities, and regional representation as we design each year’s team of HS staff. Read more about the qualities of prospective counselors, and factors in building a staff team.
Fostering a Strong Staff Community
“I feel so enriched by the time I spent in the close proximity with so many good people and friends.”
-High School Participant, 2019
We believe that the High School program at Gathering is a transformative experience for many staff and participants. The High School Program will be the center of your week, and our vision is to create a spiritually grounded community of staff members that:
- Fosters trust;
- Shares a common vision of expectations;
- Invites understanding of others' gifts, strengths, limits, and challenges;
- Provides a brave space for dissension by caring for each other through our differences;
- Not only works together, but plays together;
- Provides opportunities to learn about each other;
- Provides a space for the communication and acknowledgement of needs.
This list is not exhaustive, but is the beginning of a vision which we hope to develop as a staff through the coming year and beyond.
Completing the Application
Everyone applying should complete the High School Staff Application by late May. We will review all applications received by this date and send out notifications by midJune. Late applications will be considered in the event that we have not been able to assemble a diverse group of staff.
Who needs to complete the Reference and Criminal Background Check forms?
- If you have worked with youth at the Gathering for two of the past three years, you do not need to complete the reference check form. Check "no" to the question at the bottom of the application's first page, and click "Submit."
- If you had a criminal background check by FGC in the last five years, you do not need to complete the criminal background check form.