The Gathering offers a wide variety of programs and events throughout the week. (View the schedule.)
Adults and high schoolers sign up for a week long, morning workshop when they register for the FGC Gathering. All children (birth through rising ninth grade) are in age-specific Junior Gathering groups (the children's program). Some adults choose to serve as Junior Gathering or High School volunteer staff and receive a workgrant for their service. High Schoolers who want to work with Junior Gathering children may choose the morning workshop "Ministry with Children."
Early Mornings, Afternoons, Late Evenings
During these times, Friends choose among a wide variety of events generally lasting 60 to 90 minutes, including:
- Worship opportunities
- The daily Bible Half Hour
- Dance and other participatory movement activities like yoga and tai chi
- The Quaker Art Center exhibit and performances
- Presentations by Quaker organizations
- Field trips
- Events sponsored by organized groups
- Interest Groups on Tuesday afternoon
Events planned at the Gathering by attenders and advertised in the Daily Bulletin. Read about how to plan your own event.
Friends may choose to attend a one to two day event prior to the Gathering to explore a topic in depth. Browse this year's pre-Gathering offerings.
Other reasons to consider arriving early at the Gathering include:
- Mandatory training for High School staff (starts Friday night)
- Mandatory training for Junior Gathering staff (starts Sunday 9 AM, most staff arrive Saturday night)
- Time for settling in before the Gathering begins
Children and Teens
Children and teens flourish in age groups at the Gathering. Children are in their own programs every morning (during adult workshops) and every evening (during evening programs) -- except for the mid-week intergenerational evening program. High schoolers (starting with rising tenth graders) are housed in their own dorm, sign up for a morning workshop, have some high school specific activities and also may participate in many afternoon options.