Justice is what love looks like in public. ~Cornel West
The last year has underscored the ways in which racism permeates all parts of our society. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to reveal inequities in access to education, healthcare, work, food, and housing. Anti-Black violence, white supremacy and racism are clearly visible in our culture. We read about it, see it on the news, and experience it every day. And we are called to transform into an antiracist faith community. Transformation, like the metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly is both difficult and necessary. Friends have tools for self-reflection and transformation. In the spirit of continuing revelation we can lean on one another, learn from each other, and act in faith to create a just and loving society together. The Gathering offers many opportunities for Friends to actively engage in this work of transformation.
We invite you to attend the following events:
European Americans Addressing Racism
- Daily mid-day gathering for fellowship (12-1:30pm EDT)
Events for only People of Color can be found here.
We have multiple workshops at the Virtual Gathering that offer tools to understand the systems of racism and build our capacity in taking action for racial justice. Some are for Friends newer to antiracism work, and some are for those who have more experience.
Workshop options addressing racism include:
- Challenging Ethnic and Racial Divisions - Vanessa Julye and Janice Domanik
- Decolonizing Our Future: A Road to Liberation - Nia Eubanks-Dixon and Sophia Burns
- Quakers, Blacks and Abolition: Reflecting and Visioning - Lewis Webb and Lucy Duncan
- Quakers Seeking Right Relationship with Indigenous Peoples - Buffy Curtis, Liseli Haines, and Paula Palmer
- White on White: Color-Brave Conversations - Chuck Esser and Polly Attwood
- White on White Racial Justice Facilitator Training - Marijke van Roojen and Carolyn Lejuste
Afternoon Activities (4:30-6:00 pm eastern)
2021 Afternoon Activities will be listed in June
FGC Author Events
American Friends Service Committee
Friends Committee National Legislation
- Due to the discernment of the 2020 High School Business Meeting, the 2021 High School program will include training sessions on anti-racism and liberation.
- Optional Racial Affinity Groups include: People of Color Affinity Group and and Addressing Racism Affinity Group.
- Storytime hosted by the People of Color Center - Tuesday
- Guest artist Niyonu Spann joins Junior Gathering for Wednesday evening’s All Ages Concert and Thursday’s Junior Gathering session.