Do our meetings truly reflect all the faces of God among our members and attenders? FGC has heard from many of you that the answer to that question is often no. We have heard that many meetings wonder why their newcomers stop coming after a few visits-- especially LGBTQ folks, families with young children and People of Color. In this eRetreat, we will explore how newcomers experience welcome, mistakes meetings make with newcomers, and what approaches to welcoming have worked in FGC meetings.
In this workshop you will learn:
- Why people don’t come back and why people choose to engage.
- Ways meetings can shift their culture to become more newcomer-friendly
- Effective ways to better reach newcomers, with a special focus on seekers of Color, LGBTQ folks, and families with young children. Spoiler alert: what is enriching for newcomers also benefits longtimers!
- Offered September 27 - October 23, 2020.
- Four weeks, $45 pay-as-led participation fee
- Community Building Calls: Sundays at 7pm Eastern starting September 27
eRetreat Weekly Themes:
Week 1: The Needs of Newcomers
Week 2: Undoing Assumptions
Week 3: Getting Messy
Week 4: Be a People Transformed
Weaving a Wider Welcome will be co-facilitated by Fran Brokaw and Jaya Karsemeyer Bone.