- How does our Meeting respond when the vocal ministry seems inappropriate, or when the meeting for worship is consistently not gathered? - I wonder how we "elder" those with inappropriate messages, and I wonder who is responsible to do this. I have never done it, although I think that messages, which are more about personal ago, personal announcements, etc. and less about Spirit moving in one's life and/or the life of the meeting are inappropriate. Could someone from W & M let all of us know the process that is used?
- Does worship deepen my relationship with God, increase my faithfulness, and refresh and renew my daily life, both inwardly and in my relationship with others? - Definitely yes at CHFM. However, the long announcements at the rise of meeting take away from the Spirit of renewal and distract us into calendar planning when we don't even have our calendars with us in the worship room. I would much prefer a paper list of highlights for the month that greeters give to folks as we leave meeting. Taking the Spirit of worship directly into our relationships with one another would increase the depth of our converations and relationships post-meeting. Moving right into the clutter of calendar creates a loss of the spiritual depth of worship. There must be a better way. I worship in other traditions and moving from worship directly into relationship with fellow worshippers is such a joy. And, I've noticed that more and more people are leaving before announcements, likely b/c it is already late and the announcements go on and on.
Query for First Month
1. Meeting for Worship
- Are our meetings for worship held in stilled, expectant waiting upon God?
- As we worship is there a living silence in which we are drawn together by the power of God in our midst?
- Is the spirit of our worship together one that nurtures all worshipers?
- How does our Meeting respond when the vocal ministry seems inappropriate, or when the meeting for worship is consistently not gathered?
- Do I faithfully attend meeting with heart and mind prepared for worship, clear of any predetermination to speak or not to speak, and expecting that worship will be a source of strength and guidance?
- Does worship deepen my relationship with God, increase my faithfulness, and refresh and renew my daily life, both inwardly and in my relationship with others?
- Have I experienced in worship that direct leading to listen or to speak, and have I been faithful to my own experience?
Please consider before you comment
As you participate and comment on topics in this discussion, before you click submit, pause for a moment to reflect and listen deeply to Spirit.
Participation on this board is to be carried out in the spirit of Friends. This is a place to respectfully ask difficult questions, share experiences, feelings and perspectives around these issues, as well as to listen deeply to others and Spirit. Please be constructive and mutually respectful even in the midst of differing perspectives. The moderator retains the right to delete inappropriate comments.