PQM presents: Recording Clerk Workshop with Jim Herr on April 17, 2021! Register now!
Recording Clerk Workshop with Jim Herr
Saturday, April 17, 2021 / 10 AM - 12 PM / Open to all Friends
This 2-hour interactive discussion format workshop is open to f/Friends in the Philadelphia Quarter and across the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. All levels of experience are welcome. Are you intimidated by what seems to be a daunting task? Do you want a re-fresher? Get ready to be inspired.
Jim Herr brings his love of being a recording clerk and years of spiritual and practical experience to interactive training on an essential practice of our faith**. Jim serves as a recording clerk for PYM and the clerk of Caln Quarterly Meeting. He is a member of Lancaster Monthly Meeting and recently retired administrator of the School of the Spirit Ministry.
Sponsored by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (PQM) The Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting is offering this “PQM Presents” workshop with the goal of supporting the work of its constituent Quaker meetings by sharing best practices, lifting up ministries and nurturing Quaker connections across the quarter. If you have ideas for other topics, let us know!
FYI: This workshop is free to all f/Friends in the Philadelphia Quarter and across the Phila. Yearly Meeting. If you feel led to support this "PQM Presents" workshop (and future ones), Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (PQM) happily accepts donations - using the Yearly Meeting's website donation feature: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=f0f5fd , or check. Thank you.
**Although every meeting and committee has its own custom and recording format - there are general practices that have been adopted because they work well. Quakers are known for their systematic recordkeeping and archival tradition which are a key part of the organizational system of the Religious Society of Friends that became established in the period between 1658 – 1670 by George Fox and others.
RESOURCES RELATED TO TOPIC OF WORKSHOP
- Guidelines for Minutes of Monthly Meeting for Business Jan. 1999. Created by the Records and Handbook Committee of the Friends Meeting of Washington as an aid for Meeting Recording Clerks.
- Quaker Business Basics. Short & direct classic from Friends General Conference. Tips for all, specific to clerk and recording clerk(s).
- Records: Their Creation, Maintenance, and Preservation in the Meeting A pretty fabulous and exhaustive handbook by Baltimore Yearly Meeting: Committee on Records. Original copyright 1996 by Baltimore Yearly Meeting; made available on-line by permission of Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Minor corrections made to original by FHL Staff to reflect changes as of 2006.
- Webpages. Resources for Clerks and Recording Clerks. New England Yearly Meeting (NEYM). Includes resources for Clerks and Rexcording Clerks, as well as practices for meetings to keep and preserve records, archive policy, and how to submit records to be archived. While specific to NEYM, still useful.
- Where Should I Stand?: A Field Guide for Monthly Meeting Clerks, Elizabeth Boardman; $12.50, $9 ePub.
- Handbook for the Presiding Clerk, David Stanfield; $4.
- Before the Meeting: A Handbook for Clerks, Keith Redfern.
- Before Business Begins, Will Watson.
- Beyond Consensus: Salvaging the Sense of the Meeting, Barry Morley; Pendle Hill Pamphlet #307; $6.50.
- When Friends Attend to Business, Thomas S. Brown; PhYM.
- Servant of the Meeting: Quaker Business Meetings and their Clerks, Cecil W. Sharman; Quaker Home Service, BrYM.
- Guide to Quaker Practice, Howard H. Brinton; Pendle Hill Pamphlet #20; $6.50.
- Principles of the Quaker Business Meeting, George Selleck; Friends United Press Pamphlet Series.
- Before Business Begins: Notes for Recording Clerks, Will Watson; NEYM; $5.
- Unforeseen Joy: Serving a Friends Meeting as Recording Clerk, Dajoh D. Hickey; North Carolina YM.
Book. Thee & Me: A Beginner's Guide to Early Quaker Records. Lisa Parry Arnold. FGC Quaker Books. Oriented toward the historical, genealogical and archival aspects of records – abit off the path, but of interest.
As time draws closer to the event, updates, advanced documents and resources will be added to this page. Suggestions are welcome!